Monday 22 February 2016

Proposal Structure Final

Introduction

The purpose of this report is to get, pitch and sell the idea to producers to get my film "Dolls" made. After conducting primary and secondary I have gathered that this short film is not aged for people in my age group, however this film will be aimed to people who are experienced, by this I mean people who have attended videos festivals. Realistically taking into account location , props , transportation and equipment i think the budget for this short film will be around £50. This is because as I am under 17 I am able to travel on London buses for free. Also Christ the king St Marys will be providing me with a camera and a lighting kit. one of the expenses of my film will be to buy props such as a Voodoo Doll and fake blood.

Film Synopsis 
My short film will be about a stressed out boy who finds Voodoo doll , and starts attacking. But in reality it is effecting his next door neighbour. I took inspiration from a music video from 50 Cent. there is a section of the video where the women is stabbing the voodoo doll and it is inflicting pain on 50 Cent. I also took inspiration from an episode of Fairly odd Parents. in the episode the protagonist is using Voodoo dolls to control his enemies. The hook of my film is that I am going to have the boy talking with his conscience back and forth.

Film Rating
Judging from the influences for my short film and taking into consideration the target audience of my short film. the film rating would have to reflect that. my film rating would be 15 and over because it shows signs of horror and blood but there are no sex or drug references.


Primary research
After looking at through the short horror film playlist I was able to identify my target audience for my short. As my primary research I began to investigate the comments section of the short films. Through this I was able to identify that the people who are watching these short film are knowledgeable in film. Here are some examples.



From this I can gather that my potential target audience will have would be involved in making film one way or another, however there is proof there are more of a causal audience who will most likely comment on the appearance of the film or whether it made them feel scared or tense etc. The audience of this film are most likely to be youth. By this I mean people aged from 15-25. this is because they're more likely to be more social media savvy, Also this is because of the nature of the film, this is what people of this age group want to see.




After doing research i have come to the conclusion that there is a very big audience for the genre of my short film. this is evident from the amount of views a short horror film gathers on YouTube.



As the audience are familiar with film they will be expecting smooth shots that follow continuity, The users on YouTube will be quick to point out if they do not like the way something has been shot.

Secondary research 
One of the influences for my short film is taken from the box office is "Child's Play"(1988). The rating of this film on the internet movie database (IMDB) is 6.5/10. This rating shows that people have responded to the relatively positive. One IMDB user wrote. I've seen this brilliant horror movie over twenty times so far and it is still great."Child's Play" is wonderfully original-a great concept(the soul of a serial killer in the puppet) and villain(Chucky!) are perhaps the keys to it all. Plenty of shocks and scares, pretty good acting and lots of violence. The direction and editing are so tight and carefully done. Now I can see why this movie was such a huge success in 1988."

The subject i want my film to originate from is Voodoo dolls "The term Voodoo doll is commonly employed to describe an effigy into which pins are inserted. Although it comes in various different forms, such practices are found in the magical traditions of many cultures across the world. Although the use of the term "Voodoo" implies that the practice has links to either the religion of Haitian Voodoo or Louisiana Voodoo, in reality it does not have a prominent place in either."




I have noticed a few trends in films that contain Voodoo themes. One of the trends is that the protagonist doesn't know who they are inflicting pain on when they are stabbing the doll . it often turns out to be a close friend or a family member they are hurting



Unique selling point 

The unique selling point for my film will be the setting of my film instead of being filmed in the middle of nowhere, I am going to be filming around the inner city of London. this will play into the adult like ecstatic of my film and make it more appealing to my target audience.

Another unique selling point of my film is the use of different shot types. this will make my film stand out as it will not look like the same old run of the mill horror/thriller film.


Another unique selling point of my film is the authenticity of my film. By this I mean what my film is based on. Voodoo as popular ideas as a vampire or zombie based short film. This makes my idea unique as it is not being used frequently.


Budget 
This is the breakdown of the expenditure that will need to be considered. 

Travel fees- as I am travelling in to the inner city of London , because I am a student I am able to travel anywhere in London via bus for free.

Film equipment 
(Camera , lighting kit , tripod)
Usually film equipment will cost up to around £1000+ , however I will be using Christ the King St Mary's film facilities in order to get what I need to film my short film.

Catering fees - While we are Filming it is important that food and drink are provided. this is because you need both crew and talent to be working at their best. this will cost around £20.
Editing suite - Usually a editing suite will cost up to around £1000+ ,this is because an Apple Mac is idle for editing short films because of the software "Final Cut Pro". however I will be using Christ the King St Mary's has a Mac suite for editing that I have access to .
Props-

Fake Blood (1000ml) x2 - £14
Voodoo Doll - £6

Funding 

For my short film I do not need to worry about funds for renting equipment as CTK Sidcup will supply me with everything I need to make my short film, however there are expense I need to cover like paying for a permit to shoot at certain locations. One way i can fund this is relying on friends and family to contribute.


Regulation and Certification



In the United Kingdom the film regulation body is the BBFC and OFOCOM and they mainly regulate movies and series which are going to shown in cinema's  and on DVD's due to that the BBFC or OFCOM aren't going to regulate my short film because it is not going to shown cinema's rather its going to be shown at film festivals and BBFC do not regulate series. However if my short film was going to be regulated by the BBFC there would probably give it a rating of about 18. This is because my short film is a horror film that contains blood and gore. My short film is also going to be uploaded to YouTube for all to watch.

Distribution
 My short film is could  be distributed or shown at short films festivals. An example of this is the "London film festival." However this is a high profile short film festival and this is my first short film.It is likely that my first film will not be the same quality as the other more experienced entries, but it is certainly a future goal. 
short film festivals are where distributors go to look at short films and if they are impressed by any they can pick it up and promote it in their specific world geological area. Also gaining the maker some sort of reputation and Appleseed for their artistic work. A more ideal way i could distribute my film is by uploading it to
 YouTube. this is because the site is popular for short horror films such as mine.

Locations

In my Short film i will be using three locations for the 3 scenes i have planned out , One of the Locations i have chosen to shoot my short film is Canary Wharf Station. In order to get permission to shoot in a public place such as a train station,
i will need a permit from Transport for London. 


Another Location i will be shooting is in a house , we will be using the bathroom and Kitchen of the house. this is where the two characters will interact.

No comments:

Post a Comment